Sunday, June 01, 2008

Can I say that?

For the longest time, my wife and my sister has been saying that I'm too long-winded and have that tendency to go on and on with my blogs. It's akin to reading a school textbook on a weekend one might say, takes too much of one's time. Then again, I didn't read my textbooks even during the weekdays in my early pre-university days.

I do have to admit that they could be really long, but what can I say, I got a lot of things on my mind. So much to say but it just doesn't come out in normal conversations. I mean who'd want to hear your opinions about third world issues or the rising cost of living when sipping that cup of latte or slurping that ice blended drink at the cafe during one of oh-so-rare time you get to spend with friends or loved ones. We'd all much rather catch up on some gossip and finding out what our present company at that time are up to.

It here that I could really express myself and really say what I want. It's here that I get to compose my thoughts and pen them down with little worry over repercussions or a sound bite from an acidic tongue. There were far too many times, in the midst of trying to make my point, that I somehow managed to say the wrong things and end up hurting the one I was talking to. Somehow, I feel safe here, in the knowledge that whoever the post, or rant, was directed to would get that subtle hint without it coming out the wrong way, I hope.

I have to admit that there were some sly digs, and some dirty linen being washed in public. Thinking back, it's not really the wisest thing to do. Granted that the people I'm throwing mud at don't really know what a URL or what the WWW is. Which means they won't be reading this. Either way, anyone who's been reading my early posts would know that my dislike for my "other" family is understated. Still, sometimes, I can't help it, in spite of dearest's protestations.

Finding a balance is never easy. In fact, it's next to impossible to please everyone. Someone's gotta get the short end of the stick. Personally, I think I've been giving myself the short end of the stick on a regular basis. There were a lot of times when I have backed down from whatever decision that I have made earlier. Call me spineless, but I think backing down doesn't mean I'm in a losing situation all the time. At the very least, I manage to avert another long argument by saying, "Yes dear", "I leave it to you to decide" or "Up to you, honey".

I guess, one thing I've learnt these past few years is that you can't please everyone, but you could please the one who means the most in your life, even if comes at your expense. Plus, I've always believed that love depends a lot on sacrifices you make for one another.

1 comment:

papayaface said...

well bro, at least u channel it out here...its just ur feelings n thoughts..from what i have read, there simply is not right and wrong but its hard to balance...