Saturday, April 28, 2007

5 weeks since

5 weeks on and I'm chugging along. Life's been pretty sedentary, as it's always been - which only serves to expand my waistline some more. Note to self; time to dust off the running shoes.

Who am I kidding??

I haven't been leading a healthy lifestyle. The last time I really exercised was during my NS. In the 7 years since I finished my NS, I have yet to touch a ball, and I mean football, you yellow-minded freak! Admittedly, there were the half-hearted attempts at starting jogging, but it stopped before it ever got going. Yeah, I know it's not healthy and every second I delay, the closer I get to death. That's the thing that bothers me. Every now and then we read about people dying while exercising or doing some sports and they are relatively fitter than I am. So, I figured that if people go through all that trouble to exercise to stay slim and keep fit, only to die young, I might as well stay fat all the rest of my life and enjoy my remaining time here.

Then it happened.

Yeap, my wife got pregnant. Congratulatory messages aside, I started to feel that added responsibility. A responsibility to live as long as could to watch my unborn child grow up. That got me thinking and realising that a change has to take place in my life - for the good of my family. OK, back to the congratulatory messages. No doubt I'm grateful to my friends who have made the effort to congratulate me. One thing does bother me though, who's the idiot who asked my wife to take advantage of her condition and ask me for all sorts of things. I swear that she's getting crankier by the day. Oh, and so much more sensitive too.

Honestly though, it's been a tough few weeks for both of us getting used to being parents-to-be. I mean, it's one thing loving to play with babies but it's a whole different thing to taking care of one. I, for one, while excited, am facing it with silent trepidation. It's like your first day in a new job. Insecurity is something that hangs over you like a dark cloud. You just can't seem to shake it off on that first day. Being married and enjoying 3.5 years without added responsibility, this happy event has begun to effect some expected changes on me.

I'm still learning to deal with my wife's added crankiness, though she won't admit it. Unfortunately for me, she's just passed her first trimester, which means, the cravings would be kicking in anytime soon. A friend commented that I am more matured and more patient in my outlook of life than, perhaps, she expected me to be. Right now, I can't be bothered about maturity, I just hope her observation about my patience is not skewed. Otherwise, I'm in pretty deep shit.

No comments: