Sunday, September 21, 2008

Friends.............

My blog has undergone through so many resuscitation, it should have been dead and buried by now. As it is, there is still a pulse, just barely. The last time I blabbered about something, it was about the National Day Rally. A month ago.

Since then, we all have gone through some rough times, in terms of the global economic outlook that it makes the Asian Financial Crisis of 1998 look easy. Not since the Great Depression in the 30s has there been so much turmoil in the financial markets around the world. Havoc. Recession looms larger then we might think at some point. Things are looking up in the last few days with the US government vowing not to allow the market to slip into freefall being a welcome respite.

From a global issue to more personal issue.

My wife has always commented how lucky I am to have a big pool of friends. I used to think so myself. There were some points in my life where there wasn't just enough time to devote to a particular group of friends for an extended period. I mean, one weekend would be with a group, another weekend with a different group. What I came to realise was that, I never really had a group of friends whom I have stuck with from the day I had friends. Even now, I don't have a specific group whom I meet up with regularly.

I mean, yeah, I know lots of people and seldom would I be out and about without meeting a familiar face. However, familiarity does not equate to a close bond. Most of the people I know are acquaintances more than friends. People whom have entered my life at some point, for some fleeting moment and left as soon as they appeared. Those that I call friends are those who, at the very least, have my number on their mobile, or have me on Multiply or Friendster. Other than the occasional 'hi's and 'bye's, or the occasional, 'Hey bro, you free? I need your help.', I almost never get the 'Hey bro, you free? Let's meetup for coffee' kind of message/call.

Not that I am complaining. I mean, I'm happier spending time with my baby rather than to spend time with friends who call me out only when they need my help. My wife is different. She is not as sociable and not as friendly as I am. Unlike me, she can't strike up a conversation with someone she barely knows. She does, however, have 2 groups of friends whom she meets up with on a fairly regular basis. 2 friends from her secondary school and 4 from her workplace whom she is especially close to. of her 4 friends from her workplace, 1 is married, while the other 3 are still single. Of the 3 singletons, 1 of them seem to be drifting away, while the other 2 maintains close contact with her.

Having met her workplace friends quite often, I have grown to know them personally. The friend who is married is now mother of three and a full-time housewife. My wife and her 2 friends have always seen the married one as the luckiest. Loving husband, 3 lovely kids, a nice flat and a car. What more could a woman ask for, right?? Recently, it seems, that their marriage is on the rocks and heading towards divorce. Vaguely, I know that the husband has found another woman. Surprising, very surprising indeed. He's always seemed like a faithful husband. He's not that handsome and neither is he filthy rich. So it came as a surprise to us all.

It's very sad to hear of this development, seeing how she has stopped working to become a fulltime housewife and devoting herself to him and their family, only to have that devotion betrayed by his infidelity. Personally, the D-word did cross my mind at some points in my life, especially when I thought that our relationship had broken down irretrievably. I mean, I admit that there were times when I thought I could no longer live with her or her family members. However, at no point did I ever consider having another woman.

Invariably, just when we thought life could not be any better, it takes a plunge downhill. And when it seems there can be no light at the end of that dark tunnel, a tiny ray of light peeks through. I have never doubted our individual strengths as human beings, and the wonders the body can do when the mind is focused. Thus, I'm sure my wife's friend would come out of this stronger and a better person. I do pray for her happiness as well as her other friends'.

The same goes to my friends, whoever and wherever they may be. I'm always there for them. Be it a loan, help with their car or just a listening ear when you think you've reached the lowest ebb of your life, I'll help where I can..........even if you don't intend to ask me out for a drink anytime soon.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: