Thursday, September 25, 2008

Racing through....

Ladies and Gentlemen, rev your engines!!!!

Yeap! Formula 1 weekend is finally here. Wait!!! Why am I getting excited??

Honestly, I've always thought that it was a waste of time to attend a motorsport event in person. I mean, why go to the races when you can probably only watch the part of the race where you are at while missing the action at other sections. Plus, the sky-high prices for the pit garage grandstand tickets are enough to put most people, bar the die-hards and the uber rich. I've always told myself that I would stay away from the Marina Bay area cos the crowds would probably be too much for me. In any case, I won't know who's in the lead at the races and all I'll get is just a ringing sensation in my ears and glazed eyes from watching the cars zoom by. So, come this weekend, you're more likely to find me trawling through the narrow walkways of the Ramadan Bazaar at Geylang Serai.

Speaking of which, I have yet to go there this year. That is, in itself, a record of sorts. I have always made it a point to soak up the atmosphere there, not to mention the sights, sounds and, urgh, smells of sweat and smoke. This year, however, I have put that off till the very last weekend of Ramadan. Not that I have lost the spirit for festivities, rather, it's the presence of my daughter that puts me off going there. The small walkways and the claustrophobic surroundings can freak an adult out, more so, a baby. On one hand, I wanted to expose her to the bazaar but on the other hand, I'm concerned for her safety; not to mention wanting to avoid having to go through one of her cranky periods. Still, I have to make my way there this weekend. I still have some last minute stuff to buy, a new carpet being high on the agenda.

On the topic of new stuff, there are those amongst us who think nothing of changing furniture or personal accessories on a whim, especially with Aidilfitri being around the corner. There a some families who'd change furniture just because there is a small chip on the wooden sofa or a scratch on the metal coffee table. Personally, I can neeither identify with that nor can I keep up with them. It's almost engrained in our culture that we must keep up with the times. Quoting a famous line from an old Malay Movie, 'Orang ada rumah baru, dia mahu rumah , baru. Orang ada radio baru, dia mahu radio baru. Orang ada kreta baru, dia mahu kreta baru". In short, "I want what they got".

Funny. This line has been said countless times in many a rerun. No doubt meant as a poke in our cultural ribs, it has yet to bring about a meaning that resonates in our community - prudence. At times, we put undue pressure on ourselves not to be seen as outdated, we sometimes overspend and live beyond our means. It's no surprise that there many amongst our community who live in debt. So what if it's old? If it ain't broke, dun fix it. I'l readily admit that at some points in my life, in my pursuit of acceptance, I was dragged into this mindset of trying to keep up. Thanks to my financial controller, read: wife, that has been kept in check. Else, I'd be just another name in the OA's list.

Where there was once a tingling feeling everytime I saw a new gadget launched, it's now just a numbed feeling. Why? Simply because, most of my wants has been vetoed so many times, I've practically given up hope of ever attaining them. Thanks dear, for enforcing a sense of prudence in me..

No comments: