Wednesday, May 03, 2006

My vote matters - not this time

I'm having a good laugh at myself. After so long, thinking about who I should be voting for, I finally realised that I do not have to vote after all. This confusion stems from the fact that the estate I stay in, Bt Panjang is divided into 2 electorates, Bt Panjang and Holland-Bt Timah. Well, as it turned out, my area is under Holland-Bt Timah, hence, I do not need to vote as it is a walkover in favour of the ruling party.

Now, I do not know if i should rejoice or feel gutted that the chance to vote is no more. Rejoice because I will not have to spend roughly an hour of my time going to the voting center to cast my vote. Gutted as I would have no say in who will be in the Government. Not that it matters anyway. I mean let's be honest, how many of us actually get to have a say in the policies, how many amongst us get our views aired in Parliament and how many of us who work, hand to mouth, actually are aware of the political issues being drummed up at each elections?

Honestly, I am intrigued at what the various candidates had to say. I would like to know the plans each candidates have brought with them and how they intend to carry out those plans. While one election may not change the face of Singapore politics, it may start something of a revolution in the way the population thinks. I have never been interested in politics until a few years back when an aunt said to me, "Judge people not by what you hear from others but by what you see for yourself. Look beyond the prejudice and see the achievements."

Those words resonated within me and reverberated as I grew older. It all stemmed from a statement I made about voting for the opposition when I could vote just to spite the ruling party for what I perceived to be hardballing the opposition. Then, I began to realise and appreciate the transformation of Singapore from a sleepy trading outpost to thriving business center. What's more, despite our growth and wealth, the population is never left behind. Seriously, how many other countries could boast of such an achievement?

Personally, I think not having to vote does spare me the need of having to evaluate who is a better choice. Because, if the elections are anything to go by, politics is not about the future of the citizens but more about how you go about discrediting your opponents and presenting yourself as the person to take care of your constituency.

No comments: