Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Courting a political issue.

In my gloom, I still found some of the things taking place around me relatively humourous especially, the going-ons in the Elections. To think that we, humans would learn from past lessons, yet committing the same exact errors. Now, I'm really laughing. Here's how I see it.

We, the post-independence generation, have been clamouring for more freedom, more options and choices and a greater say in how the society we live in is shaped and moulded. We have been dreaming of the day where we could say what we want without reprisals, though that's a long time to come yet. I mean, let's be real, where else in the world could you find opposition politicians either bankrupted or serving time?

No, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone here, least of all, the ruling party. It's not their fault that these politicians have nothing else better to do than defame the powers that be. This happens, oh-so-often, too often, in fact. It makes me disillusioned like many young Singaporeans. It's like the same old song and dance being replayed at every General Elections. Opposition says somethings, ruling party not happy, lawsuits starts and someone is forced to apologise or else, made a bankrupt.

A decade ago, it was JB Jeyaratnam or JBJ as we affectionately call him. Here was a forceful personality with the heart of a lion. I liked him. Then, he began mouthing off and landed in the docks and made a bankrupt. Only time I met him eye to eye was at Golden Shoe, Raffles Place where he mugged me. Actually, he was trying to sell his book, or autobiography. Then i thought to myself, is this what happens to opposition politicians when the dust settles? The last time round it was Dr Chee Soon Juan, he mouth off too much and he is still a bankrupt now that he can't contest this time,
or so I thought.

Just when it was thought to be a clean election this time, I mean no defamatory lawsuits, Dr Chee mouthed off again despite not being able to contest this time. As if that weren't enough, he brought his whole party into the mud. I mean, after 40 years of independence and a whole new generation of young leaders breaking through, one would think that the opposition has evolved and grown competent. I guess, perhaps not. I am no longer intrigued by the opposition, it will take more than just an alternative voice in Parliament to make me more interested.

Going by the antics and shennanigans going on like a circus everytime a General Election is called, it aint happening anytime soon. If anyone says the opposition are making waves, I'd just say that they don't qualify as waves, heck, they are not even causing a ripple.

No comments: