Thursday, August 24, 2006

My first online transaction and more to come...

A week ago, I posted about my birthday and how uneventful it was. My wife was quite intent on getting me a present but could think of anything. So, I thought hard about it and decided that the only practical thing I'd use would be a a bigger memory card for my K750i. It only came with an external 64MB memory. I figured that since the K800i was a tad too expensive, I'd just downgrade my desires....

Off I went hunting on the net for a cheap 2GB Memory Stick Pro Duo. I got a good deal for S$83.90 but the catch is the card will be shipped from China. I had to pay the guy first and wait a week before I get the card. Sounds like a big gamble rite? Not exactly, considering that the same card is retailing for roughly S$160 here. Honestly, I was fearful of the fact that I could be duped and I'm still wondering what made me take that leap of faith. Anyway, I got the card after a few days, came by registered mail, and am now happily fiddling with my phone and dumping so many song, most of which I'd not listen to much anyway. So, if u see a big guy walking around with a big, smug smile on his face, it could just be me.

I did come across something which only serves to further whet my appetite for all things techy and geeky. The first is a handsfree with remote music player compatible with the K750i. Now, I am aware than Sony has the HPM-82 coming soon to our shores, which is compatible with several other phones, but I am not sure when that will be coming in. I did find an alternative, the IDNA MRH-200, available online for UDS45.00. You could plug in any earpiece or headphones and still use the remote to control the music playback and answer calls. It is cool though the k800i paired with the bluetooth stereo handsfree, HBP-DS970 would look so much cooler.

The other one that whet my appetite was the possibility of flashing the firmware of my K750i to a W800i firmware, which would not only make my K750i work just like a W800i, sadly enough, it would also void my warranty. Still, it'd look awesome, imagine a K750i with a Walkman logo on the screen. Why am I doing all these? Simply because my reservist is coming up and my unit will probably be tasked to guard Jurong Island again, so this will come in handy to break the monotony.

Yeah, I could live with a K750i for 2 years more I guess. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen.


No comments: