Friday, August 25, 2006

Winds of change

I was thinking just now about the last few days and my exceitement over my "new" phone. Did a few things I never thought I'd do, like trust a guy in China enough to hand over 80 bucks for a memory stick with no guarantee it'd come. Yesterday, I went a step further. I flashed my K750i, risking everything in the process. I mean you know how anal manufacturers can be with regards to their products.

Now, I have a K750i Walkman phone, combining the best of K750i and W800i, which pretty much shares the same hardware, shell excluded. Add my 2GB memory stick and stereo headset, which I bought in Malaysia for Rm38 and I'm all set for my in-camp activities. This ain't my first in-camp, so, I'm more than aware of what my job will be like during these 2 weeks - catching up on lots of zzzz. A little music will make the time pass easier.

Some time ago, I wouldn't dare to do any business over the net, especially those of the auction type where you deal with people you don't know, free-lancers mostly. I mean, there's been a lot of stories circulating about unscrupulous and shady characters hawking their wares on the net, demanding upfront payment and then disappearing when the payment is made without delivering on the promised goods. I mean, those spooked me. Trust is not something most people treat lightly, it has to be earned. God knows what they did to get my trust, or perhaps, should I say what made me believe them?

Oh well, we all change. Although the memory stick was more of a gift from my wife, it was still my decision to get it from that guy in China. I did spend about $15 to get my phone flashed like I mentioned. It was by far the riskiest thing I had attempted. Having splurged on the the phone a year ago, that would seem rather callous of me. Still I went ahead, hoping that it would work out fine. In spite of my reservations, it worked fine, after paying close to $20 for that upgrade. I felt like it was worth it, having a W800i firmware on my K750i.

Well, I'm all set for my reservist. Back soon.

No comments: