Friday, August 18, 2006

Suspicions over rationality

I pity celebrities, I really do. Most celebrities are endowed with talents which most of s could only ever dream about, be it, sports or entertainment. They go out there with the hope that whatever God-given talent they have can be used to entertain people, put a smile on the faces of the masses and generate a feel-good feeling.

Most of the people who live in this part of the world would know who Siti Nurhaliza is. Posessing a truly wonderful voice with powerful lungs to boot, and not forgetting that sweet, innocent look and wholseome appeal, she is truly the dream wife or girlfriend of most young men and the ideal daughter-in-law for many a Malay auntie. Oh, and lest I forget, she gives a pretty good recital of the Quran too. Now, if that's not an image of perfection, I don't know what is. I'd be lying through my teeth if I was ever to say that she is not attractive and I do not like her. Heck, I'd marry her if I could. When news broke out of her alleged romance with a businessman who holds the title of Datuk, a form of chivalrous rank in Malaysia, it started a media frenzy. I mean at least half the Malay-speaking world was intrigued.

Soon, the identity of the man became a hot topic in the tabloids of Malaysia. When the identity of the man was, finally, divulged, it was accepted with much shock. The man is 20 years her senior, with 4 kids, the eldest of which is a young man of 19. I pity the boy, the woman of every Malay man's desire and fantasy is going to be his stepmum. Now, I have got nothing against it. It's her choice, her life, let her live it the way she sees fit. In fact, while I feel she could have done better than getting hitched with a 47-year old moustachioed man who looks like a cross between George Lam, Tom Selleck aka Magnum PI and a smirking cat, I could only wish her all the best as she embarks on the next phase in her life. Still, I could just imagine the smug datuk singing in the shower, I'm snogging Siti tonight to the tune of Are you lonesome tonight? thinking, eat your heart out, you other men, she's mine, muahahahahahha , with an evil laughter which Dr Evil would be proud of.

The worst thing to come out of this is the allegations that Siti is a husband snatcher and a home-wrecker. It's typical of the Malays and our general reaction to things around us. Our suspicions and distrust towards each other precedes our rationality. How else would that explain the countless allegations against Siti? I am not defending Siti nor am I against her, like I said, it's her choice. However, I take it as a slight at our own morals when we question others to which we have no right to question. We Malays, have this weakness that when we see a person successful, we immediately think that it is gained through immoral means. It is difficult to progress when suspisions are at the forefront of our dealings.

Heck, recently, I read up a blog and it was posted that Siti was rather open about her past relationship with another celebrity and was all touchy feely with him on numerous occasions. Her squeaky clean image is just that - an image, a facade behind which she hides. Well, it's not allegations posted by that blogger, she was just posting an email which she has received making those allegations. Could we stoop any lower than that? Even the common people are not spared. Recently, there were allegations that a Malay family selling Nasi Lemak at Changi Village practised black magic in order to make a bigger profit. And that allegations were made by someone who knows this story from someone who was told by someone that areligious teacher saw it firsthand. Let's not forget the many people discrediting others of their fame, wealth and happiness.

What I mean to say is that we all, not just the Malays, have to be more respectful of one another in our lives and daily dealinsg with one another. Bad mouthing, throwing false allegations and trying discredit one another is all a lack of respect we show. Let the people around us live their lives without having us judging them, having negative thoughts of them and worse, spreading those negative thoughts.

Lastly, as hard as it would be for me to say it,

Selamat Pengantin Baru Siti.

No comments: