Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Rain rain and more rain

The overcast sky blocked out rays of sunlight; the earth sodden with tears from the sky and the winds were howling with dangerous intent. No, it's not a line from a novel, I don't think so anyway. That was the scene from yesterday night till this morning all over Singapore.

Yeap, it has been raining almost incessantly since last night with almost no dry ground in all of Singapore. It' s pretty normal around this time of year with the monsoon season in full swing. On the way to work this morning, the rain was especially heavy at Woodlands and Ang Mo Kio that no cars dared to breach 100kmh, though a Nissan Sunny did try to cut me off at Lentor Avenue. No, I'm not about to launch into another tirade on errant drivers.

The rains did cause some flash floods around the island and countless water ponding. Think I counted 10 on my route just now. They are particularly dangerous. The heavy rains already cut down visibility, and the pools of water are almost impossible to see. Running over one, even at 50kmh, would cause small cars to wobble, which I experienced first hand. Almost lost control of the car for while there. Thank god I took the advice of my friends and chnaged the stock tyres to something with a little more bite.

I'm pretty sure that the rain is gonna last the whole day and some flooding is to be expected. According to the Met Service, it's gonna be a wet few days to come. I think I should start saving up for a dinghy soon because there are reports that some parts of Malaysia are already under water and even some parts of Singapore though information is rather sketchy.

Let's see what happens next, shall we?

No comments: