Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Dreading a holiday

Well, it's my third wedding anniversary today and I'm at work, well, if it's any consolation, so is the wife. We did not make any special plans for tonight, no candlelit dinners, rose petals on the bed or fancy gifts. Just a trip to my MIL to confirm the details of our trip to Pangkor Island with her aunt. HUH???

Yeah, the feminists are already sharpening their claws. That's no way to celebrate a wedding anniversary. Truth is, I had a beautiful evening in mind. However, those plans were scuttled when her aunt asked us to go with her family to Pangkor. My wife, being the kind-hearted person that she is just couldn't say no. This was after all the very same aunt who worked her ass off during our wedding and having been recently widowed, she was not prepared to disappoint her. So, there went the plans for a romantic evening.

The departure date and accommodation arrangements were already taken care of by yours truly. The only thing left was mode of transportation. Up till now, there is no agreement on that. The aunt and her family wants to rent a car, an MPV, no less. My wife and her mom is in agreement with them. I'm the odd man out in the sense that I am against renting an MPV, when both families have a car each!!! Which means there will be 3 people to a car.

Well, their logic is that it will be more fun to travel together and because the trip will take 7 hours roughly, it wouldn't be so taxing on the driver. I honestly find that stupid mainly because I am biased and also because we would be incurring unnecessary cost for this trip. Renting an MPV would set us back easily by $450 for the 3 days 2 nights trip and we will be driving the MPV for only the trip there and back. Damn!! I could have extended my stay at Pangkor by 2 more nights with that money!!!

I mean I have driven up the East Coast for roughly 7 hours without having to change drivers with only 2 stops along the way. To make it worse, there was no expressway along that stretch, it was all kampungs and small towns along the way. Had to be extra careful not to knock down and monkeys, chickens or cats along the way. Well, the aunt's daughter was worried that her mom couldn't take it. Well, so was I when I took that trip but sometimes we have got to throw caution to the wind and enjoy the ride. Else life will just get too boring.

Yeah, well, I am pissed at not being able to drive my own car as the majority has spoken. I mean one of the reasons I bought a car was so that the wife and me could enjoy long driving holidays to KL or some place in Malaysia. Looks like that thought will be on a backburner for now. I just dread the thought of splurging $200 (after splitting with the aunt) on renting a car we would use for less than a day on a 3 day 2 nights trip when I could think of better things to do with that money, like a new sound system for my car!!!

Never in my life have I been so unenthusiastic about a holiday as I am now.

2 comments:

papayaface said...

i noe u r entitled to your blog bro...but it seems sound system for the car is more value to u then ur love one...just my two cents...lol

SomeDol said...

Thanks for your comments bro, point taken....:)

Just din feel tat it is value for money for me to rent a car when I have my own. Put it this way, it is akin to me taking a cab from Tampines Library to Tampines Mall when it is only a walking distance away.

Then again, tat's just me being pragmatic.