Thursday, June 01, 2006

My pet peeve - while driving

Went out with the wife to JB yesterday night for some seafood. Brought the MIL along because the wife wanted to. How could I say no? Everything was fine apart from the terribly long jam we found ourselves in approaching the Causeway. Once past that we went for our seafood binge and went to the BIL's place, deep in the suburbs of JB, a condo no less. Reached Singapore at about 12 midnight, eyes half-open, mind thinking only about my pillows and my bed.

Then, everybody's favourite public transport had to rear it's ugly head. Yeap, I'm talking about the taxi-driver. My very own personal favourite. Not because they are efficient or because they seem to disappear at 15 mins to midnight only to reappear in droves after midnight, or for the pleasant conversations they could come up with when all you wanted was some peace and quiet but more so for the fantastic and I-own-the road attitude some taxi drivers seem to exude.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all taxi drivers, only some, but that minority can drive me up a wall in a flash. I mean my dad's a taxi driver himself, but he is one patient man. At times, when we drove together and I lost my cool at other inconsiderate road users, he was telling me to calm down. Admittedly, I am an aggressive driver. I don't have any qualms about tailgating or blocking off another driver if I think he is taking advantage of the fact that I drive a small car which can be easily bullied. Try bullying this bully.

Oh! Back to the drive back home from JB. After sending my MIL home, we went home, my mind was focussed on my pillows by now. On the wasy back, after making a right turn at the traffic light on a cross junction, a taxi on my left swerved into my lane and tried to squezze me out all because his lane was blocked by another taxi alighting passengers. I honked hard at him twice and he still squeezed me out. That pissed me off. Not only had he squeezed me off, he didn't have the brains to wave sorry or something like that.

So, me being the kind, considerate one, decided to take matters into my own hand, knowing this is nothing more than a monkey on my back. I proceeded to let him pass me and positioned my car directly behind him. Then, I switched on my high beam and stayed on his tail for a good3 km before he turned left at a junction when I went straight. Best part was he saw what I was doing and tried to move away from being in front of me by swerving left at a bend.

Well, this is not some novice he was dealing with. On hindsight, it was an immature stunt but if honking twice with my loud-ass horns, Stebel Magnums no less, just about the loudest aftermarket and legal horn around, high-beaming him at close distance ought to get his attention. I just hate it when other drivers act irresponsibly behind the wheel, endangering other road users. I mean, if I were being honked at that would mean I am endangering someone else, and would apologise immediately if I was wrong. So, the least I would expect is the other driver to acknowledge they were wrong.

Word of advice - be patient, take deep breaths when angry and don't do what I do. I just don't have the patience.

No comments: