Thursday, June 22, 2006

Drifting away again.

I think I need help.

No, I'm not going crazy. Well, not yet anyway. It's just that the past week was so hectic. I got myself to blame for my having this feeling of apathy. You know how they say, too much work made jack a dull boy. Well, no one ever told me too much play would spoil me!!

3 days in Pangkor followed by 4 days of work with 2 days in KL really sapped me. Not so much because of the driving up and down half of Peninsular Malaysia but more because I couldn't get myself in the zone at work. Every so often, I find myself drifting away from whatever thing is on my PC screen and find myself looking out at sea. Waste of productivity? To the company, yes, to me, it's more of the hope and expectation that the realisation of that dream comes sooner rather than later. What dream? The idyllic lifestyle.

I guess most of us would want to live an idyllic life, somewhere by the beach, where the hustle of city life is far away from our eyes, ears and mind. It's just something about the beach that gives us all a sense of calm and tranquility that would otherwise be absent in our lives as long as we live our normal lives. I have read about quite a number of expatriates who have uprooted their lives and whole families for some and moved to another part of the world in order to find some peace. Mostly, they settled in some resort island in Malaysia and set up resorts or chalets of their own which they rent out.

Well, they get the best of everything. Peace for their mind, customers for their business. I do admire their courage in doing that. Not too sure if I could ever muster the courage to do likewise.
Then again, I asked myself, could I really leave behind all that I have worked so hard for and start anew somewhere else? Would I have the discipline to do without the cinemas, foodcourts, shopping malls andother entertainment I have come to enjoy? While I can do without the fast-paced environs of my little red dot, I 'm not sure if I could do without the entertainment avenues currently open to me now.

Idyllic island life, replete with it's rustic charms, soft see breeze and beautiful sunset/sunrise, is perfect for most of us for getaways, just not for permanent lifestyle. I think I'm just reading too many tourism brochures and travelogues.

No comments: