Monday, June 19, 2006

Drove up north again!

I was up in KL over the weekend. Yeah, I know, I just got back from Pangkor the Sunday before and was still feeling a bit jaded. Not so much because of the trip's exertions, more because my wife and I felt that the trip to Pangkor was too short. When my sis called asking us to go to KL with her and my parents for the weekend, we jumped at it.

Another getaway? Hell, yeah!

I don't know why but I just enjoy hitting the open road. Strangely enough, I never did that when I was still riding my bike. Partly because, my mom wouldn't allow it, more so because, I suffered cash flow problems which very much inhibited my innate desires for long rides up north. Just couldn't spare the budget when the opportunities for riding trips with friends opened up. Not like my cash flow problems have eased, just that now with dual income (read: the wife), there is more chance of me being seen trotting up the NS Highway.

One of the reasons why I upgraded was so that my wife and I could go on such long drives. Damn, we really are making it worth our time and money with the car. Well, it satisfies my wife's desire for short holidays to take her mind of life's stresses while satisfying my own cravings for driving up north. While it would seem like a long distance to drive up north to KL, after the Pangkor trip, I found that driving up to KL seems easy.

While previously, I would have made a stop at Pagoh, roughly halfway from Singapore to KL, this time I went almost 250km to Seremban non stop before making a first rest, which lasted all of 10 mins. That's almost 75% of the journey in one go. I was surprised at myself that I could last that distance, in fact, it felt like I could drive to KL all the way without stop. I wasn't about to over-exert myself though.

I guess it's like a challenge for me and our car to drive up north. We have been to Cherating last December, Pangkor this June, KL twice, Malacca twice. When we first bought the car, my wife had reservations on its long distance capabilities, so much so, doubts started lingering in me. Those doubts have long been dispelled with the drives we have made so far.

Once thing's for sure though, more will be planned!!!

No comments: