Monday, January 23, 2006

Turbulence ahead

Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated and calm. We are experiencing some turbulence ahead. It will be slightly uncomfortable. Please bear with it.

How apt that would sound if I was the aeroplane.

I pride myself at being able to control my life, being able to plan ahead and see some plans come to fruition. What of those plans that don't? Well, somewhere between the initiation of the plan and fruition, it all went horribly wrong. Most of the time, it involves variables which I do not control, a good example would be other people.

Call me shameless but I'd like to think that most of my problems are caused by variables of the living, breathing kind. Like I said, I pride myself at being able to control my life. A schoolmate got angry with me once and hit me across the back of my head with an iron pipe.
He thought I had jeopardized his courting of this friend of mine by telling her what I thought he was like, which did not amount to much of an impression. Riled me up but not enough to make me retaliate. I have since forgiven him for that indiscretion.

I like to plan ahead - 5, 10, 15 years ahead. I'd imagine what life would be like at that age and what joy I could have. Some people plan to get married at a certain age, get a degree by a certain age, have kids at a certain age, even die at a certain age. Somewhere along the way, some things goes awry. It may be somethin
g tenable like cash flow and break-ups or it may be something inconceivable such as a debilitating disease. Something inevitably goes wrong.

Almost always though, life has a way of sorting itself out. In the end, equilibrium is maintained. I mean, hey, if you are on a downward spiral, you are bound to hit the abyss some time soon, and things will only get better from there.

I hope I hit my abyss soon. Then I'll have a reason to be cheerful again.

No comments: