Friday, March 10, 2006

Getting of our bums...

Wow, I finally got that out of my system. Feels good, though, in retrospect, I realised that I shouldn't have publicly laid everything, well, almost everything, out in the open for everyone to read about them. It's not so much a tinge of regret that makes me re-evaluate why I posted those things about them because I feel I am justified in my anger. Rather it is a sense of self-respect, not my respect for them, cos it is negligible. Any self respecting person would know that such things are best to be kept within the confines of those involved but I never felt like I was welcome.

OK, enough already. I'm not taking my posts down. If, at any time, they gather enough inteligence to stumble upon this site, I'll just let them have a piece of my mind. Honestly, they do deserve this.

It dawned on me that the problem s I face are not atypical of the normal Malay family. Dr Mahathir wrote his book, The Malay Dilemma, in the hope of opening the eyes of his fellow Malays. A lot has been said to stereotype Malays as a lazy race. To a certain extent, this is true. I'm not going to hide from the truth just because I am a Malay. The fact of the matter is, I am, admittedly, lazy - when it comes to certain things. But when the proper motivation is there, the laziness vanishes.

Malays are not lazy, we are just easily-contented. That's why we are equally happy to be living in the city as we are living in the rural areas. But ask any Malay and they'll surely love to stay in a rural environment. I guess this all stems from our Muslim upbringing of being thankful to Allah for what we have. This is further exacerbated, by the typical laid-back attitude of the Malays. We seldom think far or plan ahead. Dr Mahathir saw this at an early stage of Malaysia's economic development and it, rightfully so, worried him.

Thankfully, the new generation of Malays include many visionaries who has long since elevated themselves and their thinking to a whole new different levels. Malays have always been a second class race when it comes to economics, but we are catching up with the rest. The presence of a brilliant few has provided fresh impetus for the younger generation to emulate them. Rather than have to fight for scraps as we did before, we are now fighting for a bigger sice of the pie. This could only bode well for the future of not only the Malays, but also for Singapore.

I just wish that more Malays would realise this and strive to to be a success instead of just sitting there, lamenting their luck and blaming it all on fate. Belief in fate without the sweat and tears will get one nowhere. Hope my bro-in-laws realises this.

No comments: