Friday, March 24, 2006

Work, work, work!!

Well, it's been a really hectic past few days. Work has been sucking the life out of me, literally. It's not so much my work is physically taxing, far from it. My job revolves around my little cubicle, and basically staring into space, trying to find little holes in the wall that need plugging. Honestly, I wish I had such a job, preferably one which comes with a corner office overlooking the city or better still the wide blue yonder and that pays me more than I could use. I mean No amount of money is too little, ask Bill if you don't believe me.

Talking about Billy ole boy, he is tops again in the Forbes' rish list. His nett worth is probably more than the GDP of some of the developed nations. Obscene isn't it? In a world where half the population live in poverty, not knowing what a computer is, let alone know how to use it, I do find it obscene to be worth USD50 billion. What the heck is he ever gonna do with all that money. In fact, can anyone contemplate having USD50 billion in hard currency?? OK, he does donate, probably, close to 50% of his profits annually to charitable causes. I'm not against wealth accumulation, I'm all for it, I mean, who doesn't want to be able to say , "I got USD10,000 loose change, you want it?" Well, I'm dreaming again.

Seriously though, having to work for the rest of our lives is a stark reality we all have to face. Ole Billy boy still goes to work everyday, doesn't he? I guess he has my dream job. I have been doing a lot of calculations lately and somehow, it occured to me. I may never be able to retire. I'm 29 (ooppps, there goes the big secret), earning an average income, with a bank balance the size which a primary school kid would laugh at, car loan to repay and a housing mortgage which won't be fully repaid till I'm 56. Somehow, the maths don't add up. Anyone knows how I can get in touch with Billy??

Oh, back to my job. The thing about my job is that it's not most fun thing to do. I can't complain though, considering that I do make a decent living. Basically, my job entails clearing the mess left behind by others, namely my predecessor - not the easiest thing to do, considering I, initially, had an anally retentive boss. Things picked up after some reshuffle and my current boss took over. I was at my most productive, churning out reports, defining processes, drawing up the work instructions - fun ain't it??

Then along came the ISO audits. Those things really sap you. Having to go through tons of data, making sure everything is in place, every little detail is scrutinized and all actions accounted for is the most satisfying and gratifying part of my job. Cynical?? You think so??!?!?

Thank God, it's all over and done with. the auditors did not have much of a chance to scrutinize much anyway, all thanks to my big mouth. Pre-emptive strikes galore in the boardroom just now, I tell you. My brain was in overdrive, thinking of things they might ask and my mouth was spouting answers to the questions they were about to ask. Add in a little witty banter and a relaxed atmosphere, it all bode well. By the time the auditors were ready with their report, I was mentally drained. Thing is, I worked my ass of preparing for this, any Non-Compliance to any of the standards on my part would have been intolerable.

Well, the results were great. No Non-Complaince!! At least not for me!! Now where's my favourite pillow!


No comments: