Thursday, April 06, 2006

Much ado about nothing....

Sometimes I just hate the world I live in. Yesterday, on the way home, was another example. My wife and I were listening to our favourite program on the evening drive home. As usual, we looked forward to the normal banter and, inevitable, wisecracks the deejays would, errr, crack. Somehow, the mood was slightly subdued with one deejay having to hold back his words and usual demeanour in the name of good broadcasting.

It all started the day before when he remarked that he could make a killing by selling condoms at night along that stretch of driveway along East Coast Park, I'm sure most locals would know where. Then, there was some more remarks about the extra-curricular activities going on there. Well, a civic-minded listener concerned at what was perceived by him/her as distasteful shennanigan wrote in a letter/email speaking up against those comments made by the deejay. This is what I have an issue with.

I'm pretty sure the deejays here in Singapore are mature, responsible adults. With the many government agencies regulating the dos and don'ts, there is as much chance as something vulgar hitting the airwaves as Singapore winning the FIFA World Cup. A few years ago, a deejay was fired for saying something racy on air and talked about some very personal issues which shouldn't be on air. I'd assume the deejays and the radio stations are very much aware of their responsibilities.

I mean, c'mon, it's entertainment after all. Don't tell me that you believe everything you see on TV to be real. That would be naive, nay, I'd call that ignorance. In any case, we are spoilt for choice in terms of radio channels, just change the channel and get on with your hermit of a life. Let's be real, every radio channel in Singapore has it's target audience. This particular station has the young, working adults who grew up on the 80s and 90s music as it's base audience, who are now matured 20-somethings. I'm pretty sure we all know where that stretch of road is and what goes on at night. There is no need to protect us.

It's never about what you see or hear that matters anyway, it's what you choose to believe. If you want to have entertainment in your life, take it with a pinch of salt. Not everything you see or hear is real or to be taken at face value.


No comments: